Water testing for rural home owners
One benefit of rural home ownership is that you don’t need to worry about a monthly water bill. Put in the well, and then forget it is the mentality of many. We Realtors strongly encourage all people purchasing rural homes to do water testing, and most do. However, once the closing is complete, many revert back to the forget about it thinking.
Experts do recommend that rural homeowners test their water at least every two years. People on municipal water have a government organization checking their water regularly, but when you live in the country, it is all up to you. Sure a surprise result can impact a home sale, but even more important is how it can impact your health. Don’t let too much time go by between water tests in your rural home because you don’t want to accidentally be drinking certain chemicals or bacteria.
Don’t rely on the old “My water tastes great, so it must be better than town water” either. Not all chemicals will flavor or discolor water.
Green County Extension is offering residents a special program for water testing right now. They have three options:
- $49.00 -Homeowner Package (Includes tests for nitrate, coliform bacteria, pH, alkalinity, hardness, conductivity, corrosivity, and chloride.
- $45.00 -Metals Package (Includes tests for copper, lead, iron, manganese, zinc, potassium sodium, calcium and magnesium.)
- $27.00 -Triazine Screen (Includes tests for triazine type pesticides like atrazine)
They also have three options for picking up the bottles for the water testing:
- Spring Grove Town Hall, N2475 County GG, Brodhead, on Friday, Nov 14th, from 4pm-7pm or Saturday, Nov 15th from 10am-12pm. Bottles can be dropped off at the Spring Grove Town Hall on Monday November 17 from 1pm-3pm and 5pm-7pm.
- Jefferson Town Hall, N2350 Cty Hwy S, Juda on Saturday, Nov 15th from 9am-11am. Bottles picked up at the Jefferson Town Hall can be dropped off at the Green County UW Extension office on Monday, Nov 17th from 8am-4:30pm.
- Pick up sample bottles at the Green County UW Extension office in Monroe, on Friday, Nov 14th between the hours of 8am-4:30pm.
Bottles must be filled and returned on Monday, Nov 17th. You must pay for the tests when you pick up the bottles.
Water testing results will be available Thursday, December 11. They will have a 90-minute educational seminar presented at 6:00pm at the Green County Justice Center, Multi-Purpose Rooms. The experts will have the opportunity for everyone to ask questions.
All results will be kept confidential. If there are problems with your water, say bacterial present or high nitrates, you will be notified by mail within two weeks of your sample date. If you are unable to attend this program to obtain your complete results, they will be mailed to you.
Questions? Contact Victoria Solomon, Community Resource Development Educator at the Green County UW-Extension office 608-328-9440 or via email.
Water testing is important. Put it on your regular household maintenance agenda.
Find your new home
DIY Day: Build a Solar Furnace from soda cans
This is awesome. Thanks for sharing.
Green County Habitat For Humanity Casino Night
Excellent event; cheers.
Home Improvement Projects Under $20 Each
What an idea…!! finnally i find an interesting activity for my coming weekend. Thank you
Festival of Trees
[…] Don’t forget to order your tickets now for the Festival of Trees on December 3! This is a fun annual event that benefits local non-profit organizations. We are […]
Electronic recycling drive
[…] Testimonials Electronic recycling drive […]